2017 National Senior Games - JUNE 2-15, 2017
Volunteer Registration is Open!
The National Senior Games is the largest multi-sport event in the world for senior athletes. It has been held every two years since 1987 at host cities from coast to coast, and most recently Minneapolis, Minnesota in 2015. Birmingham, Alabama is excited to play host to The Games in 2017! Men and women 50 and over qualify in even numbered years at sanctioned state games, and we hope to attract over 10,000 athletes to compete in 19 medal sports in the 2017 National Senior Games Presented by Humana. We are thrilled to be hosting this prestigious event and for the opportunity to deliver a great experience, showcase our amazing city and venues, and highlight the wonderful culture we have here in Alabama!
We appreciate your interest in volunteering for the 2017 National Senior Games presented by Humana. With 10,000+ athletes from all over the country, nearly 3,000 volunteers will be needed to make this event a huge success for Birmingham.
WHEN: June 2-15, 2017
WHAT: Birmingham is looking for energetic, dedicated individuals to volunteer for the 2017 National Senior Games. Birmingham will host approximately 10,000 athletes, ages 50+, to compete in 19 different competition sports and 1 exhibition sport:
|Basketball||Pickleball||Softball||Track & Field|
|Cycling||Racquetball||Table Tennis||Judo (Demo Sport)|
REQUIREMENTS: Volunteer shifts typically last 4-5 hours. Volunteers have the opportunity to sign up and receive training and more information at one of the volunteer training sessions at the Innovation Depot on May 2 or May 16, 2017.
***We require anyone age 15 or younger to be accompanied by an adult.
BENEFITS OF VOLUNTEERING:
- Build your resume and gain valuable event management skills
- Give back to your community and these hard-working inspiring athletes
- Share pride for your community with others
- Networking opportunities
- Meet new people
- Volunteer with your friends and HAVE FUN!
VOLUNTEERS WILL RECEIVE:
- 2017 National Senior Games volunteer t-shirt and handbook
- Volunteer hospitality will be available throughout shifts **If you have dietary allergies or restrictions please plan accordingly
- Incentives from local restaurants and entertainment
- Birmingham-Jefferson Convention Complex
- Birmingham Crossplex
- Birmingham Southern University
- Brunswick Zone Riverview Lanes
- Highland Park Golf Course
- Hoover Metropolitan Stadium Complex
- Linn Park
- Liberty Park Sports Complex
- Oak Mountain State Park
- Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail at Oxmoor Valley
- Shelby County High School (Columbiana)
- Samford University
- UAB Campus Recreation Center
- Uptown District
Visit our website National Senior Games Association for more information about competition and volunteering.
For additional questions regarding the 2017 National Senior Games, please contact Abby Lutzenkirchen, Volunteer Coordinator by email at: [email protected].